Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Homemade Mask: Dry Skin Recipe #1

During the winter months it's more typical for your skin to be a little more dry than it would normally be. As for me, my skin is more prone to dryness all year round so I've been testing out a few homemade masks to see which ones help & which ones are a bust.

Here is the recipe for the most recent one I've tried.

1 egg yolk
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp water
1/2 tsp lemon juice

(*It makes a lot more than you really need for your face but I suggest that you throw away anything that you have left over, it will spoil within 24 hours.)

When I mixed it, I left out the lemon juice for two reasons. One, I'm assuming it's used in the recipe as a peeling agent which I didn't really need at the time & two, I just didn't have any. Haha.

Before I applied it to my face I made sure to cleanse & exfoliate my face really well. I also heated it up just a little (about 10 seconds in the microwave) so it would open my pores & absorb into my skin a bit better. The directions called for three layers of it, so I let it dry just a little before applying it in between each layer. I let it sit for 15 minutes.
Next, it said to rinse it off first with warm water then with cool water.

I was really pleased with the result. It actually evened out some of the redness in my skin tone. It was definitely very very moisturizing as well & it added that nice little glow that everyone loves to have to their skin. Initially the texture of the mask threw me off, it has a really thin but goopy feel to it. It firms up fairly quickly once it's on your face though. It's nothing I couldn't get over. It also gets really tight on your face once it's dry so you have to be careful not to crack it. Other than that I don't have any complaints, it's super easy to remove & it really did help with my skin's dryness.
If you try it out, let me know how it goes for you.

*If you have sensitive skin, I suggest doing a patch test before you try this mask out.

Also as a side note for those of you on the frugal side who don't want to waste that egg white! Egg whites have a lot of good cleansing, acne fighting, & temporary firming properties for your skin, so here's a few options for what you can do with the egg white:

Use it as a cleanser before you apply your mask.
Apply it as a "pre" mask before you apply your moisturizing mask.
Apply it underneath your eye area during your mask to firm.

Thanks for reading!
Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment